Thursday, April 10, 2008

Students Capture Attack on Teacher on Video

the video of the teacher beating is below

Baltimore, Maryland (CNN, WBAL) -- A shocking video of a female student attacking an art teacher and recording the assault on a cell phone at Reginald F. Lewis High School in Baltimore is causing a stir among both the community and the school.

Art teacher Jolita Berry says she was beaten by a female student as others stood and watched last Friday. One student even captured the assault on video with a cell phone.

"It's just frustrating," says Berry, "Too many times has it happened at this school and other schools, and nothing's being done."

Berry says the video later showed up on MySpace.com.

"It's like we're not important," Berry says, "It's like we don't matter."

The art teacher says she asked the student to sit down, and she says a "relentless assault" is what followed.

"I looked over, and her friends were cheering her on," Berry says, "And before I knew it, she hit me in the face."

Teachers later broke up the fight. Berry thought she could turn to her principal for help, but after a little consoling, the art teacher felt like the school was on the side of the student.

"On one hand she [Lewis High School's principal] told me that she was sorry for me that this happened to me," Berry says, "But then she turned right around and told me that telling the student that I was going to defend myself was a 'trigger word.' That I 'triggered' them."

Berry says she and other teachers at her school feel like they are at a loss, feeling the schools they teach in are not safe, they just hope the Baltimore City School System is watching the tape.

"No learning place should be this violent," Berry said.

The chief of Baltimore City school police said he had not been notified about the attack, but would investigate.





Source:http://www.wltx.com

No comments: